At Royal Pavement Solutions, we employ a variety of machines and techniques to complete projects for our Long Island commercial clients. Most of our clients have a basic understanding of what an asphalt roller does, how sealcoating is applied, or why parking lot striping is critical. However, asphalt milling is not as widely understood, but it can be a useful technique for all asphalt contractors to master.
What Is Asphalt Milling?
Asphalt milling uses an aptly named milling machine to grind away as little or as much of an existing pavement as is needed. Milling machines are available in a number of sizes that accurately remove asphalt paving to a predetermined depth. Milling machines feature rotating drums that feature carbide cutters that can turn asphalt paving into small particles, and they have conveyor belts to carry these particles directly to a nearby truck for transportation to an asphalt plant for recycling.
What Can Asphalt Milling Do?
There are so many things that a milling machine can do that it is impossible to list them all. Here are some examples of what asphalt milling can do.
- Milling machines can cut rumble strips in asphalt pavements.
- Milling machines are frequently used to adjust the drainage or refine edges when we install an asphalt overlay.
- Milling is sometimes a viable option if the binder and aggregate have separated.
- Milling is often used to refine transitions between pavements at the points where the two pavements connect.
- Milling can sometimes repair asphalt pavement pavements that have been damaged during a fire or an accident.
- Milling machines can quickly remove all layers of an asphalt pavement during a reconstruction.
- Milling can remove existing pavements to provide access to a damaged foundation.
- Milling can sometimes eliminate bird baths, ruts, or bumps in an existing pavement.
What Are the Advantages of Asphalt Milling?
Milling is ideal for situations in which a very precise amount of the pavement needs to be removed, so it offers several advantages.
- Milling produces particles that are completely recyclable, so it allows asphalt plants to produce fresh asphalt with less impact on the environment.
- Milling can remove asphalt paving faster than using traditional equipment, and this frequently saves you both time and money.
- The same pavement or area can be milled whenever it becomes necessary.
- Milled surfaces can usually be opened to traffic as soon as the milling process is completed.
- Milling allows you to retain the pavement’s grade and slope.
- Milling can allow curb reveals, drains, and other features to be retained at their original elevations.
- Milling normally causes little disruption to traffic.
- Milling machines are often capable of removing the pavement’s base layers as well as the asphalt paving if the foundation needs to be rebuilt, repaired, or strengthened.
Let Royal Pavement Solutions Help With Your Asphalt Milling Needs in Islip, Long Island
In addition to asphalt milling, Royal Pavement Solutions offers asphalt paving, concrete installation, asphalt sealcoating, concrete repair, asphalt crack sealing, sweeping and portering, asphalt patching and repair, site work, and building maintenance. We are highly experienced and knowledgeable, and we have an impeccable reputation for superior customer service and extraordinary craftsmanship. We would be happy to provide you with a free quote; just complete the online form, or give us a call at 844-777-7924 for Asphalt Milling services in Long Island & Islip.